Abundant Books

The blog of a self confessed book addict. Reviews and musing about what, where and how I read.

Monday, February 26, 2007


April Fools Day
by Bryce Courtenay


Bryce Courtney's beloved son Damon, a haemophiliac, died from medically-acquired AIDS on Aprils Fool's day 1991, at the age of 24. In this book, he celebrates his life, but he condemns the medical approach taken towards AIDS, and how he and his family coped with Damon's haemophlia and early death.

The story that is told is this memoir is sad and touching. However, I truly disliked the style of writing - the story was disjointed and more an attack on those who did wrong than a story about Damon's life. I also found the lack of other voices like his mother and brothers create an imbalance in the story. I wouldn't have read it, except that it was chosen by the book group I belong to.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home