Abundant Books

The blog of a self confessed book addict. Reviews and musing about what, where and how I read.

Thursday, May 18, 2006


Tears of the Giraffe
by Alexander McCall Smith


"The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency" introduced Precious Ramotswe - sassy owner of Botswana's only detective agency. Here, we are taken further into Precious' world. Among her cases this time are wayward wives, unscrupulous maids, and the challenge to resolve a mother's pain for her long-lost son.

I started reading this series as I was after a light, entertaining book. I read a lot of fantasy peopled with dozens of major characters, so I was after a change of pace. The people in these books are so calm, take life at a slow pace and have a lovely way of treating each other. Even the crimes and mysteries that Precious Ramotswe solves don't seem frenetic or particularly complex. If you are looking for a few hours light reding, try this series.

Labels: ,